Here’s my tried and true, no-fail method for perfect hard boiled eggs:
No-Fail Hard Boiled Eggs
1. Place eggs in a single layer in the bottom of a pot. (Use a stock pot if you’re boiling a larger batch.)
2. Cover eggs with cold water. (Be sure water is a couple of inches higher than the eggs.)
3. Cover and heat on high.
4. When the water comes to a boil and steam begins to escape, DO NOT UNCOVER THE POT. Turn off the burner, leave the pot covered, and leave the pot on the burner. Set your timer for 15 minutes. (The eggs will continue to cook in the hot water!)
5. After fifteen minutes, uncover, pour off most of the hot water, and add cold water and ice to start cooling off the eggs.
6. When the eggs have cooled, dry them off, and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. (Be sure to use an airtight container or they’ll smell up your fridge.)
**Hard boiled eggs will keep much longer if you store them with the SHELL ON. (7-10 days unpeeled vs. 3-5 days peeled)
**Ensure quick and painless peeling, and peel your hard boiled eggs under running water! No more losing your mind over sticky bits of shell on your fingers!